CSV Export generates duplicate lines when there is an "e" in the ID field.

Started by adougbev, September 24, 2015, 17:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adougbev

See this example for an export I did today

"6.68E+88","Node","UREESXNDC002",""
"66816e84","Node","UREESXNDC002",""

you can see that what happens is that an extra line is created which treats this as an exponential. This is a cut and paste from notepad - no nasty Excel formatting involved to mess this up.

this can be tidied up manually... sometimes if the original ID end with say e3 you will see the field duplicated as e000, as it has taken the exponent of 3 and made it into thousands.

These are easily work-roundable - but thought I'd share  - in case it helps others or is something you can fix easily next release.

Andy

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

thanks for reporting this. I can't reproduce this when I created an Archi file and gave an element an ID of 66816e84. Can you provide a test case? Are you sure you're not importing it into Excel and then re-saving it?

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

adougbev

Phil - pretty certain it was from a raw export  - I will have a go at producing a simple sanitised version of this and check that I haven't done as you suspect.  thanks for getting back to me.

adougbev

Phil  -well ....  I tried to reproduce it staying well away from excel and obviously I couldn't.  This happened from a big import I was doing  - all without IDs - followed by an export of the model so the opportunities for "Operator Error" were numerous. :-[

so sorry for wasting your time ....   

By the way - apart from this cock up -  I am having some good success with using the Excel PowerView options to pivot and unpivot tables between the columnar format for the Archimate CSV files and a matrix view which is letting me customise properties and relationships with a few excel macors and is helping to visualise and automatically trace dependencies using the Archi tool...  I'll post something on this on the forum in due course - to make up for this !!

Phil Beauvoir

Andy,

no worries. :-) I did manage to get a "6.68E+88" but only when I directly imported it into Excel. I know there is another way to import CSV into Excel which avoids this - Data->From Text menu option.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.