Archi Tool version 3.3.1 Linux

Started by dsavard, October 26, 2015, 01:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsavard

FYI,

the archive file for the Archi Tool version 3.3.1 for Linux is not correctly packaged. While the downloaded file is named Archi-lnx32_64-3.3.1.tar.gz it is actually not compressed at all and it should be named: Archi-lnx32_64-3.3.1.tar instead or better, it should be actually compressed (gzipped).

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

an Ant script is used to package the Archi distributions. Here is the part where the Linux package is tarred and gzipped:

<!-- tar -->
                <tar destfile="${lnx.tar}" >
<!-- Add to tar setting the executable permission on these launcher files -->
<!-- Add to tar all other files without the executable permission excluding those above -->
</tar>

<!-- GZip -->
<gzip zipfile="${lnx.tar}.gz" src="${lnx.tar}"/>

Can you tell me what makes you think it is not gzipped?

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

I double (actually, triple) checked this. From what I can determine the Archi Linux package is a tar file that is gzipped with 88% compression ratio. I'd be interested to know what makes you think it is not compressed or gzipped?
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I double checked and found some interresting things. I still have linux distribution for Archi 3.0.x, 3.1.0 and 3.3.0. Using the "file" command I can see that 3.0.x and 3.1.0 are "gzip compressed data, from FAT filesystem (MS-DOS, OS/2, NT)", but 3.3.0 is "POSIX tar archive" (despite the name being .tar.gz).

When checking file size, 3.0.x and 3.1.0 are ~63MB, but 3.3.0 is 73MB.

My conclusion: either the 3.3.x files are not gziped by the ant script, or the web server (or browser due to some header) uncompress the file during download.

JB

Phil Beauvoir

All linux versions are about 63.5mb when I download them. Opening in WinRar gives me the attached screenshot. My build machine is Windows, so maybe that's it. I can't see this as a problem.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Seems a known issue due to bad http header on website: http://superuser.com/questions/940605/chromium-prevent-unpacking-tar-gz

In short, if file is served with "content-encoding: gzip" header, then some browsers will think compression was used only to limit bandwidth and thus will uncompress file locally but keeping filename untouched.

So Phil, do you have some mean to remove "content-encoding: gzip" header sent by your webserver ?

JB

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on October 26, 2015, 21:18:41 PM
So Phil, do you have some mean to remove "content-encoding: gzip" header sent by your webserver ?

Not that I know of. It's not the best web hosting service. ;-)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

One thing to try is to serve the file using filename ending with .tgz instead of .tar.gz, maybe type is infered using suffix.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on October 26, 2015, 21:28:45 PM
One thing to try is to serve the file using filename ending with .tgz instead of .tar.gz, maybe type is infered using suffix.

I think I'll just leave it. It's not been a problem for anyone else. ;-)

park3927

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie is right. After I renamed the download file (basically take down .gz from the file ext), I could extract the tar. I downloaded Archi using Chrome.