Copy multiple objects from one view to another

Started by dirklaan, March 18, 2016, 16:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirklaan

I am drawing multiple architectural plateaus (as a roadmap) for a large programme. I had a set of components in one view that I wanted to have in anther view in the same layout. So I selected them and copied - pasted them into the other view. Archi then creates new objects named "<original name> (copy)". How can I prevent this so Archi will paste my selection while referring to the original objects?

Thank you,
Dirk
PS: I could not find this in help or on the forum...

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

In fact, what you describe should not happen. The logic of the copy is the following:

• If none of the copied elements exist on the target view, references to the original elements on the model are created (so no copies)
  • If at least of of the copied elements exists on the target view, then new elements (copies) are created

So I guess you are on the second option (at least one element already exists).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

MaropengM

Quote from: dirklaan on March 18, 2016, 16:36:10 PM
I am drawing multiple architectural plateaus (as a roadmap) for a large programme. I had a set of components in one view that I wanted to have in anther view in the same layout. So I selected them and copied - pasted them into the other view. Archi then creates new objects named "<original name> (copy)". How can I prevent this so Archi will paste my selection while referring to the original objects?

Thank you,
Dirk
PS: I could not find this in help or on the forum...

I have the same need to copy (reference) the principles I modelled in one view (generic model) to another view (solution specific model) where I am modelling the client's solution. I am using ArchiMate 3.2.1 & Specification 2.0. Please advise.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: MaropengM on July 06, 2018, 08:07:52 AM
I am using ArchiMate 3.2.1 & Specification 2.0. Please advise.

My understanding is that you are using Archi (the tool, not ArchiMate, the standard) v3.2.1. In this (very old) version there are no solutions.

But since version 4 there's a solution for that: past special. In short, past special (through view context menu or CTRL-SHIFT-V) gives you control over the copy to force either a copy by ref or a clone (this is a copy by ref by default and can be changed in preferences).

On question: why do you use an old version of both tool and standard while you could use ArchiMate 3.0 and Archi 4.x ?

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

MaropengM

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on July 06, 2018, 08:18:25 AM
Hi,

Quote from: MaropengM on July 06, 2018, 08:07:52 AM
I am using ArchiMate 3.2.1 & Specification 2.0. Please advise.

My understanding is that you are using Archi (the tool, not ArchiMate, the standard) v3.2.1. In this (very old) version there are no solutions.

But since version 4 there's a solution for that: past special. In short, past special (through view context menu or CTRL-SHIFT-V) gives you control over the copy to force either a copy by ref or a clone (this is a copy by ref by default and can be changed in preferences).

On question: why do you use an old version of both tool and standard while you could use ArchiMate 3.0 and Archi 4.x ?

Regards,

JB

Thanks, I only have knowledge of ArchiMate 2.0 hence I do not know the differences or pitfalls (compatibility issues) to move over as yet. I will install Archi 4x

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

There's no big difference between ArchiMate 2.x and 3.0. There are of course new concepts for Strategy and Physical, but most of what you already know and use is still valid (there're only some small changes in relationships here and there).

You can have a good overview of those changes in the last chapter of the specification.

Regards,

JB

rheward

Apart from JB's control-v paste special suggestion, I often duplicate a view and delete the items I don't want on it. They may give you a quick way of creating what you need.