List of organizations known to use Archi

Started by Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie, March 24, 2016, 15:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikR

I am working on a world wide retail and whole sales company as one of 30-50 enterprise architects and a huge number of solution architects.

I realized the need of a repository for my architecture work and have been using Archi for about 2-3 years.

I have recently challenged Archi with Sparx EA but decided to go with Archi. In my role as enterprise architect with application and information focus I will deal with other architects that also will need to use Archi. I work TOGAF-9-ish and organize the models according to the TOGAF content framework.

I have developed a methodology to perform architectural analyses and design drilling down from descriptions of the business needs down to application internal solution architecture. I am thinking of writing something or perhaps develop a course. I have used the methodology in several projects and pre-studies and had some time to let it evolve.

On several occasions I have shared diagrams with business users with slim to none experience with architecture or IT development. In general the perception have been good after a short introduction.

I have never used such a fast drawing utility, including Sparx EA also using Archimate. With some experience in selecting proper archimate-objects I can draw diagrams in real time during workshops. Fellow co-workers have been very impressed :)

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Erik,

thanks for this story.  :)  I'll be doing a series of "Spotlight on..." blog pieces if you'd like to consider contributing your story.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Peter Gee's story was re-fashioned as a Q&A and published on the Archi blog - http://blog.archimatetool.com/2016/05/16/archi-spotlight-archi-supports-the-government-of-new-brunswicks-ea-program/

If anyone would like to do the same, I'd be happy to work with them to produce something for the blog.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Germano

Quote from: ErikR on May 14, 2016, 18:45:06 PM
I am working on a world wide retail and whole sales company as one of 30-50 enterprise architects and a huge number of solution architects.

I realized the need of a repository for my architecture work and have been using Archi for about 2-3 years.

I have recently challenged Archi with Sparx EA but decided to go with Archi. In my role as enterprise architect with application and information focus I will deal with other architects that also will need to use Archi. I work TOGAF-9-ish and organize the models according to the TOGAF content framework.

I have developed a methodology to perform architectural analyses and design drilling down from descriptions of the business needs down to application internal solution architecture. I am thinking of writing something or perhaps develop a course. I have used the methodology in several projects and pre-studies and had some time to let it evolve.

On several occasions I have shared diagrams with business users with slim to none experience with architecture or IT development. In general the perception have been good after a short introduction.

I have never used such a fast drawing utility, including Sparx EA also using Archimate. With some experience in selecting proper archimate-objects I can draw diagrams in real time during workshops. Fellow co-workers have been very impressed :)

Hi ErikR,

I have one question. How are you dealing with multi-user in Archi? Are you using GRAFICO plugin? If not, how do you manage for example, Infrastructure ICs with Application.

Regards,

Germano.

pkraakman

I work as an Enterprise Security Architect in the new company called Philips Lighting founded by Royal Philips.

For creating the Enterprise Security Architecture I am using Archimate as a open standard and well developed language, although an extension to risk and security would be welcome (understand that Open Group is investigating this).

As I wanted to use an architecture tool to manage and share my views and designs I started to use Archi as an alternative to commercial EA tools also hoping for an easy exchange of models with other architecture disciplines. This is still in the early stages as I am working my way throuhg the various domains also sharing and getting feedback from the other domain architects.

Paul Kraakman

Phil Beauvoir

cvenable

My story is similar to ErikR's. I work for a very large multi-national company. I've found that ArchiMate using Archi hits a sweet spot between too much/too little detail that allows me to work with a variety of stakeholders using one set of models. I can use the same diagram to walk through (and influence) a business decision-maker, IT officer, and software engineer. In the past, I'd have to create different diagrams - usually using different tools - for each stakeholder to tell the story in a way that was appropriate for them. While there is no one-size-fits-all approach or tool, ArchiMate using Archi is the closest I've found to that.

Like ErikR, I've recently led workshops where I've been the "modeling facilitator." During these workshops we're effectively re-engineering business processes and re-designing the application portfolio that supports them. The model-on-the-fly approach using Archi has been tremendously successful in this workshop format. Even though I'm the one driving Archi, everyone is participating in shaping and validating the model so they leave with a sense of ownership and they are "bought in" to the model from day one.

Contrast that with historical EA approaches of creating models in a vacuum and trying desperately to "sell" them to stakeholders. It's a powerful approach that can only work with a method like ArchiMate that is simple yet reasonably comprehensive and a tool like Archi that allows for on-the-fly modeling in a room full of stakeholders without significant pauses to create model elements that disrupt the flow of ideas and participatory feel of the workshop.

Now if I could just replace certain model element icons with images like a mobile device, I could retain model integrity and do away with PowerPoint...  ;)

Guido Janssen

I am working as a architect at PharmaPartners, a dutch IT company creating software for pharmacies and doctor's. I used Archi for a few years already first just as an architecture diagram drawing tool. Recently I used it to set up an IT landscape model. Since I wanted to share the model with different stakeholder I created a reporting website using XSLT based on the Open Exchange format. I have started to share the more generic parts in a Github project (archimateviewer) especially the views using SVGs. This would actually allows for dynamic views based on properties or as the previous post was washing for replacing the visualisation of certain elements by simply drawing a different kind of node in the view.

yvain

We're using it in an unofficial capacity at the University of Sydney.

What we've liked about Archi is that it enforces the Archimate syntax - which is invaluable when you're first coming up to speed with the language itself. Likewise, the fact that it enforces what are in the standard viewpoints - which again is great for people who are coming up to speed with Archimate.

mdvadim

Quote from: prgee on May 12, 2016, 19:19:42 PM
Hi JB,

I asked my government client for their permission to submit a brief story of how we used Archi to help document their Business Architecture. They agreed, as long as I was willing to write the narrative. I ended up writing a one page "Archi Usage Story" which they have approved and I have attached to this post. I hope that you and other forum members find it to be of value.

Thanks and Regards,
Peter
Hi Peter,
There are some links in the attached file. But it's wrong. Can you give correct links?

mdvadim

Kemerovo Heart Disease Hospital and Dispensary.

As CQO and my team we are trying to describe the architecture of our institute using world-famous languages ​​like Archi and methods, realizing that, perhaps, among our Russian colleagues we will not understand.

New language - new opportunities for communication.

Luc Gadeyne

I am working as an Enterprise/Solution Architect @KBC Belgium.
Together with a number of colleagues I am introducing Archimate 3.0 in IT.
We use Archi as a tool to support modeling.
We combine this with Grafico and GIT (or SVN-Subversion) to enable collaboration.

m@rco

Hi,

I use Archi primarily to maintain the Application Landscape and derived models for Walraven (www.walraven.com), a multinational manufacturing company. I also use it to make specific project views on the landscape, depicting changes. It really helps that integrity of relations is kept at all times, to decide in what views to show these or not.

Regards,
Marco

tgeurts

I am currently working as a solution and project architect at BKWI, a Dutch government organization at the domain of Work and Income. We are using Archi

• to model reference architecture
  • to describe architectural and orgnizational principles
  • to descibe the architecture of our application landscape
  • to model project architectures

Ton Geurts

Phil Beauvoir

Thanks for all the user stories so far. It's good to hear from Archi users on how they are using the software!

Best regards,

Phil