My Archi 4 OODA Canvas template

Started by brain_work, November 20, 2016, 21:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brain_work

I'm using Archi 4 to create views made with as few ArchiMate 3.0 elements as possible (mainly resource, course of action, grouping and note and only the triggering and association relation). I like the OODA diagram by John Boyd, see http://www.pogo.org/straus/issues/military-people-and-ideas/2015/unlocking-the-power-of-john-boyd-ooda-loop.html, but I never found a simple way to use it. Now that I'm using Archi 4 I thought it would be nice to make an OODA canvas which I can use as a strategy/tactics/solution whiteboard.

Unlike the Business Model Canvas it's made with grouping elements so you can place normal ArchiMate elements on the canvas. And you can resize the grouping elements if needed. I put some rough notes bout OODA in most grouping elements as a kind of "hints".

All feedback is welcome, especially in the form of improved OODA.archimate files  ;)

Eero Hosiaisluoma

Hi!
This is very fascinating idea. By using ArchiMate 3 "Group" -concept and/or Archi-tools "Group" visual element it is possible to create many kinds of canvases or frames. ArchiMate model elements can be then used in those canvases. E.g. a custom version of "Business Model Canvas" can be created with those grouping elements, and then use ArchiMate elements there. Those very same ArchiMate elements can be then further used in other diagrams with same way (Customer Journey etc.). This way the development can be started from high level sketching and continuing to other views - by using exactly the same ArchiMate model elements in each and every diagram of the model. This keeps the EA-model consistent. (Now it is not possible to drop and use ArchiMate elements in BMC or Customer Journey canvases provided by Archi - of course those are very valuable tools as such already now.)

This idea opens up new possibilities to utilize this excellent Archi tool (v.4) with many scenarios in business development. OODA-loop is one of those interesting concepts that is now taken into use in this "phenomenon of lean & agile development"..

@nategerber

I'm huge fan of this work! Mapping across canvas domains is something I've been riffing on for a while - even using the specialization plugin to display graphic images of canvases in Archimate elements. While I've been using Archi for a a while - I'm brand new to the forums. I'd love to see what others are doing in this vein!

andyhough

I understand I am digging up an older post, however, I have been accused of being the most commercially aware technical consultant on my team.  So here goes.

As I walk the strategy fence between my role as CTO of a start-up, a strategic partner, lean startup customer-facing experimenter, vision caster, I have spent several days installing and uninstalling a variety of open-source modeling tools and landed on Archi as a very flexible, but not particularly pretty diagramming tool to generate not only the architectural vision using TOGAF as a model, but also, marketing, and customer franchising strategies as we discover what our products and services need to look like.

I was elated to find the Canvas templates that cover many models like PESTEL,  and strategyzer canvases, and I have but two simple wishes.  (that I know break the core guardrails of the the model, but...)

1. Add elements to a canvases.    OR
2. Add background images to views. IDeally from a PDF, PNG, JPG or other image types.
2.a allow images to be placed in the element hierarchy and used from there.

3. Allow Groupings to have folder structures in the model view.  Or allow folders of elements to be added to a view to bring all the elements inside that folder into the group.
4. Allow different papers for grouping folders on a view. i.e. just some basic shapes will do circles, triangles, icosahedrons, things like that.

I really like the concept that OODA that EERO posted approaching using elements on canvases.  I would like to find a way to take that to the next level by a few simple elegant tweaks.  This would drastically extend the ability to use ARCHI in front of buisness owners, and investors like I am trying to do now.   

george

Quote from: brain_work on November 20, 2016, 21:20:10 PM
I'm using Archi 4 to create views made with as few ArchiMate 3.0 elements as possible (mainly resource, course of action, grouping and note and only the triggering and association relation). I like the OODA diagram by John Boyd, see http://www.pogo.org/straus/issues/military-people-and-ideas/2015/unlocking-the-power-of-john-boyd-ooda-loop.html, but I never found a simple way to use it. Now that I'm using Archi 4 I thought it would be nice to make an OODA canvas which I can use as a strategy/tactics/solution whiteboard.

Unlike the Business Model Canvas it's made with grouping elements so you can place normal ArchiMate elements on the canvas. And you can resize the grouping elements if needed. I put some rough notes bout OODA in most grouping elements as a kind of "hints".

All feedback is welcome, especially in the form of improved OODA.archimate files  ;)
Wow @brain_work, I thought I was the only architect familiar with OODA. Possibly of interest to you, a mapping of The Logical Thinking Processes (Bill Dettmer Flavor) on Archimate.