Enforce unique names on modelling elements (with the exception of relationships)

Started by brain_work, February 12, 2017, 17:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brain_work

My biggest problem with Archi is that it's very easy to create an element with a name that's already in use without being warned. When I draw a relationship that does already exist I do get a warning, so I would expect the same for other elements.

But the best solution for me is that Archi wouldn't allow multiple (non-relationship) modelling elements with the same name. Or are people deliberatly use different (non-relationship) elements with the same name? If so, in what kind of use cases?

BTW I would also be happy if Archi wouldn't allow (non-relationship) elements with the same name & type (so for example you can have a Resource with the same name as a Capability, but not two Resources with the same name)

Regards,
Peter

Phil Beauvoir

Peter,

the relationship dialog is not warning about a duplicate name, it is telling you that a model relationship of the same type already exists between the elements.

Perhaps this is something that can be added.

BTW - The "Validator" tab can also check and warn you about duplicates.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

brain_work

Hi Phil,

As a workaround I first type the name I want to use in the search field so I will see if there is an element with the same name. It's nicer to get a direct warning that a similar element already exits and the question if I want to use the same one. But as I said for me the best (=most user-friendly) option would be an option to prohibit duplicate (non-relationship) names  :)

BTW the search is missing the option to search only on one or more  Strategy viewpoint elements like Resource, Capability and Course of Action. (and I only use Resources and Course of Actions in my model...) Also it's a bit hard to see which things are selected in the search preferences.

Regards,
Peter

HansBosma

hello, I agree with Peter. It would be very nice when creating a particural object that you get a warning whenever there is already an object of the same type with the same name.

Is it possible to realize this within Archi?

friendly greetings, Hans

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: HansBosma on October 28, 2020, 08:29:50 AM
hello, I agree with Peter. It would be very nice when creating a particural object that you get a warning whenever there is already an object of the same type with the same name.

Is it possible to realize this within Archi?

friendly greetings, Hans

We are tracking the issue. Perhaps someone will contribute an implementation for this:

https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/535
https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/377
https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/657
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

HansBosma

In the Release Notes of version 4.8 it says: "[Features] Ensure unique entries by name". Is that concerning this post: preventing duplicate names of objects? Or is it about some other functionality?

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: HansBosma on January 11, 2021, 15:57:38 PM
In the Release Notes of version 4.8 it says: "[Features] Ensure unique entries by name". Is that concerning this post: preventing duplicate names of objects? Or is it about some other functionality?

That's an internal thing. Features are used to store internal data.