X-OR junction

Started by Marbi, May 26, 2017, 12:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbi

Hi.
It is very difficult to model flow of data and/or control without X-OR gateway. Are there any chances to have an implementation of this junction type in some near future?
Best regards,
Marek

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Marek,

this is an interesting thing because there was some discussion around this when preparing the ArchiMate Exchange Format. The ArchiMate spec has only two junctions:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/chap05.html#_Toc451757967

And the ArchiMate exchange format only supports And and Or junctions. So we need to find out if XOr will be officially recognised.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Marbi

It's a pity, but I understand :(
Have a nice weekend :)

Phil Beauvoir

It would not be hard to add it to Archi, but at this stage it needs to conform to the spec and the exchaneg format.

Phil
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Marbi

I know that the problem doesn't lie in the implementation, but in exchange file. Maybe TOG will come up with an idea that xor is de facto the basis. Virtually every choice of option is xor type.

Marek

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This is not even linked to exchange format but the standard itself. We had several discussion internally about whether to add other junctions types or not, and the answer has been not because if we do so we'll soon end up with too many junction types. Another reason is that the standard allows you to create customization of concepts, so you can (if tool allows you to do so) create your own xor junction.

Regards,

JB

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on May 26, 2017, 20:50:09 PM
Hi,

This is not even linked to exchange format but the standard itself. We had several discussion internally about whether to add other junctions types or not, and the answer has been not because if we do so we'll soon end up with too many junction types. Another reason is that the standard allows you to create customization of concepts, so you can (if tool allows you to do so) create your own xor junction.

Regards,

JB

Indeed.

I mentioned the exchange format because, for me, that's where the discussion arose.