Add a module to list and automatically install plugins from GitHub

Started by Hervé, April 13, 2018, 20:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hervé

Hi JB, Phil,

Would you be interested in an Archi module that would list and allow to install/update the plugins available in GitHub (https://github.com/archi-contribs) ?

Of course, if you're interested, I will provide you with more detailed information before starting to develop anything  ;)

Best regards
Hervé

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Hervé,

we should really talk about use cases, pros and cons and how it might work before developing anything. For example, have a clear idea about how plug-ins interact, does the user knows what they do, whether they are fully developed, how to uninstall, etc. etc.  We should focus on the end user experience and plan it first.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Hervé

Hi Phil,

I fully agree ... That's my objective.

I was just asking if I should work on a more detailed description and present it tou JB and you, or if you are totally opposed to this kind of things (because it will have to be integrated into Archi, and not a plugin by itself).

Thanks and regards
Hervé

Phil Beauvoir

Hervé,

please share your ideas. I have some concerns and reservations at this stage:

- The user should be aware that a 3rd party plug-in is not necessarily supported by me or JB. I want to avoid a barrage of support emails in my Inbox for plug-ins that I do not own.
- Why limit to archi-contribs?
- Writing to "plugins" folder requires Admin access when Archi is installed via installer

Needs more discussion with JB, for sure.

Phil
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Hervé

Hi Phil,

You've put the finger on one of my point (I hope this means the same in English than in French  ;D). Nobody know about the existence of the plugins and discover them as a matter of hazard. Some people are then reluctant to install them because the installation is quite technical (one must find the plugins folder and know about to download a jar file from GitHub).

I was thinking about archi-contribs because this is the only repository I know, but if you know others, it will be easy to add them (or to ask the dev to centralize their plugin to archi-contribs).

The idea is to provide a graphical interface to allow Archi users to manage their plugins:
   - Connects to one (or many) GitHub repository like archi-contribs
   - Recursively get the projects and retrieve a description file that will provide
         - the plugin name
         - the plugin version
         - the plugin description
         - the developer name
         - a link to the GitHub wiki
         - a link to the GitHub issues
         - why not some screenshots
   - Provide an installation status (installed or not installed), which version is installed
   - Provide the list of available versions for download or update with their respective release note
    - Allows to automatically download, update or remove a plugin
    - etc ...

This gui could check if it can write in the plugins folder.
   - if yes, it can automates the process to the end
   - if no, it can download the plugin to a temporary folder and provide the user with detailed instructions about what it needs to do (and why not generate the .bat or .sh script that the user can then run with admin privileges)

Best regards
Hervé

Phil Beauvoir

I have no objection really in principle, but look forward to JB's thoughts (he's busy at the moment in conference)