Modelling a web application

Started by TEK, August 27, 2018, 15:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEK

Hi

I need a model that is well suited to communicate with the infrastructure people.

I want to model this (as easy as possible):
I have a user with a desktop computer (desktop #1).
The user is using a browser running on the desktop computer to access a web-server application.
(of course some of the code is beeing run in the browser on the users computer)
My webserver application is hosted in IIS on a Windows Server (Windows server #1)
My webserver application is getting data from a SQL Server (Sql server #1) running on a Windows Server (Windows server #2)
My webserver application is beeing served by a Service made available by a REST-based webservice. The REST-based webservice is run by a application beeing hosted on IIS on a Windows Server (Windows server #3)

I want to have a as easy model as possible to explan that the desktop computer must talk to the webserver application that must talk to the SQL Server and the REST-based webservice - så that me and the infrastructure guys can have a good dialog discussing what computers must be able to talk with each-other over what protocols and how the communication between them must be secured (for example by adding proxies, firewalls and so on into the mix after the initial picture is agreed upon).

Anyone that have an pattern for this?

- I have a web application running on Server #!
I have a web application.
I would like to - as simple as possible - model a web-application using several backend services

Hervé

Hi,

Here is how I model this kind of pattern.

To talk to infrastructure people, I never use serving relationships as the arrow direction is really contre-intuitive, but flows which are also correct from a modeling perspective.

Hope this helps

Best regards
Hervé

Alberto

Nice color schema, is this Archi? I now want gradients on my Windows Archi

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Alberto on August 27, 2018, 19:59:44 PM

Gradients are supported - look in Preferences -> Diagram -> Appearance.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Alberto

TEK

Quote from: Alberto on August 27, 2018, 19:59:44 PM

That looks really promising.
It's like a "boom" in my head. I would not have tought about doing it that way in a million year - really elegant!

TEK

Any comment on this for a attemt?

I want to show that there is code running on the users device.
I want to show what security zone each server is involved in.
I'm temted to turn the arrows - but I think I would stay with the correct Archimate syntax and rather explain it to the infrastructure people so that I keep pushing the correct usage of the language.
I have also strictly keept to the structural part of archimate as I think that might be easier than starting to combine structural and functional parts.

I'm very usure about the whole "Clientside code" realizing Webpages - but I did not find any better way of solving it.