Discussion Boards > Share your Models, Templates and Reports

Archimate for everyday use (to describe Enterprise Architecture)

(1/5) > >>

alex:
Hello!

I just started to use ArchiMate. Everything is fine but I faced with the question:

if I create several diagrams (view points, layers) like Motivation, Business Process, Application, Technological then how to gather all it together in one single point of view (Layer) with relationships between their components ? I need to create one point of view to see everything (all layers of Enterpise Architecture) from top to bottom and vise-versa.

To do it I created another one new diagram and choosed ViewPoint - Layered. But it was empty diagram.

Am I right if I say that I should drug-and-drop components from different diagrams (views) to Layered viewpoint diagram(view) ?

Or if I'm wrong please help me to find techique which can do it instead of me...

Thank you!
Alex.

Phil Beauvoir:
Hi Alex,

as you found out, creating a new diagram (View) won't automatically populate it for you. You'll need to decide what elements and relations belong in that view and drag and drop them from the Models tree into the View.

Other people may have tips for making this process quicker.

Phil

alex:
Hi Phil.

Thank you for response.

I have another one question - how to attach file to diagram ? to component ? to model ? Is it possible?

Usually software specifications, tasks descriptions, presentations, BRD, FRD documents etc. are in MS Office (Word/Power Point) format.

I need to store it inside the model (inside the Archi). Is it possible ?

Second question:

I created two new models ("1" and "2") with view points ("1-1" and "2-1"). In "1-1" I created component named "Data Integration-1".

I would like to drag-n-drop component "Data Integration-1" from model "1-1" into model "2-1". But Archi can not do this.

So, my question is  - why I can not share same components between different models and viewpoints in Archi ? It's not flexible and agile -)

Alex.

Phil Beauvoir:
> I have another one question - how to attach file to diagram ? to component ? to model ? Is it possible? Usually software specifications, tasks descriptions, presentations, BRD, FRD documents etc. are in MS Office (Word/Power Point) format.  I need to store it inside the model (inside the Archi). Is it possible ?

Archi saves its data as an XML file so you can't store other files (except images) "inside" the file. You can create URLS in the "Documentation" field or in a Property that link to other resources.

> why I can not share same components between different models and viewpoints in Archi ? It's not flexible and agile -)

Models are not linked. This is so that they remain discrete and portable without inter-dependencies. You can only copy diagram elements between them in Views. It is a limitation that is inherent in the "one model = one file" design.

alex:
Phil, thank you -)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version