How to show redundant apps used by diff business units

Started by cphoa28, November 07, 2018, 02:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cphoa28

Hello,
Am trying to create a model that shows applications that have redundant application services/functions and which business units are using what applications.  Am using Archimate 4.2.

If going by standard way of modeling an architecture by layers, wherein Business Actor ==> Business Function ==> Application Function ==> Application Service ==> Application Component:

• I can show the redundant applications by creating viewpoint from Application Service point of view to show how many different application components are tied to them
  • However, I cannot show what business actor is using what application component because of this forced hierarchy.  Do I just create a direct relationship between the Business Actor and the application component?  Seems a bit messy if done this way
  • I also noted that create viewpoint only show immediate relationships but doesn't seem to traverse the next level of relationships.  Anyone know how to do that in Archi?

Ideas much appreciated!!  Much thanks!!

Chris

Phil Beauvoir

Might be worth sharing on the ArchiMate Google Group https://groups.google.com/forum/?#!forum/open-archimate-forum
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

>     I also noted that create viewpoint only show immediate relationships but doesn't seem to traverse the next level of relationships.  Anyone know how to do that in Archi?

Not sure what you mean by "create viewpoint" ("generate view"?) but if you need to add any additional relationships or concepts to a View you'll need to drag and drop them from the Models tree.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

cphoa28

Phil,
Much thanks for the replies! Will definitely try the Google Groups.

As for the "viewpoint", I found kinda what I needed using the Visualiser.  It even asks you for "depth" which is what I was referring to as "next levels". 

Now what I need next is a tabular report or dashboard version with metrics.  Guess I'll be playing around with the free database plugin I read elsewhere in this forum. 

BTW, what artifact is best used to represent the actual application or application suite (i.e. SAP ERP, Salesforce CRM, etc.)?  Application Component? 

Much thanks again for the help!

Chris