Logical vs. deployed instances

Started by audaynz, January 28, 2019, 08:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audaynz

Hi,

Lets say we have an initiative to consolidate applications after a merger, a common initiative. I would like to develop a model to show whether there are many CRM applications (as one example) and how they are implemented and where they are deployed. How can we do this in Archimate? In TOGAF metamodel you can model a CRM application as a logical application component (CRM) and then model the different implementations (Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce, Siebel, ...) as physical application components.

Also, how can we add attributes to elements (like in TOGAF)? For example add an attribute to an application about its priority, its vendor, or its lifecycle state.

Many thanks

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

In ArchiMate, a Logical Application Component is an Application Function, while a Pysical Application Component is an Application Component assigned to (one or more) Application Function(s). Another option (less in the spirit of ArchiMate) is to model Logical Application Component as Application Component and then Physical Application Component as System Software providing the platform which runs it. In such case this System Software serves Application Component.

You can add attributes by "right-clicking" on element or a relationship and then choosing "Properties". The Properties view will then open (or get the focus). Attributes are under the "Properties" tab of the "Properties" view.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

audaynz

Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick response!

The first approach is more elegant (or as you say is in the spirit of Archimate).

So with the first approach, can I still aggregate or compose (using Archimate aggregation/composition) CRM into functions such as Sales, Marketing, and have Siebel realize Marketing function only (as an example) without impacting the integrity of the model? I just tried this and the model validates OK but would the model be logical/make sense when linked to other models in the enterprise and then reported on (provided they use the same approach)

Thank you

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: audaynz on January 28, 2019, 12:18:44 PM
Thank you so much for your quick response!

You're welcome.

Quote from: audaynz on January 28, 2019, 12:18:44 PM
So with the first approach, can I still aggregate or compose (using Archimate aggregation/composition) CRM into functions such as Sales, Marketing, and have Siebel realize Marketing function only (as an example) without impacting the integrity of the model? I just tried this and the model validates OK but would the model be logical/make sense when linked to other models in the enterprise and then reported on (provided they use the same approach)

Yes, exactly. You can define the whole "logical" function at several levels of decomposition if needed and have some "physical" application assigned to the whole or only a part.

If still in double, simply share a view for me to comment.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.