icacls.exe

Started by alkmaar_yuri, February 13, 2019, 10:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alkmaar_yuri

Hi there,
new user here
I am an administrator for a company that would like to start using Arhi

We are working in a Citrix environment en so I have downloaded the portable version (4.3.3) and put it on a network share to start from.
When I start it from within Citrix I get an error that it tries to start icacls.exe from the c:\windows\system32 folder.

Can somebody explain why icacls.exe is started and what it tries to do?

It doesn't matter if the shared folder where the portable version of Archi resides is read-only or has full read-write access, the error always pops-up.

After clicking away the error, Archi just runs as normal, so just very curious why/what icacls.exe does.

Phil Beauvoir

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

If it's the bundled JRE that's causing problems, delete the "jre" folder in the Archi installation and use a more recent one.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

alkmaar_yuri

thanx Phil for your quick answer.

I am not to good on Java/JRE

How/where can I find/implement a newer version?
Would be great if you could explain the steps needed.

Thanks in advance

Phil Beauvoir

I've spent some more time investigating this.

When Oracle Java launches it tries to write to C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\.oracle_jre_usage

If permission is denied then you  may see the symptoms you get.

Either allow write permissions to this folder or read this:

https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8169236

and this:

https://docs.oracle.com/javacomponents/usage-tracker/overview/toc.htm#JSUTO-GUID-A2A9C366-42CF-45FD-B549-6A861115451E

So, if you create a file called "usagetracker.properties"  and add this line to it:

com.oracle.usagetracker.track.last.usage = false

And then put this file in the folder "jre/lib/management" in Archi's "jre" folder it won't attempt to write usage files.

alkmaar_yuri

awesome, did not have time to dig deeper yet, but did nailed it great find