Redrawing "hidden" relations

Started by bmacours, November 26, 2014, 15:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmacours

Hi,

Here is a feature request which I'm missing every day (at leat every day I'm busy with Archi :D).

Imagine a diagram containing two related elements. The relation between those two elements is not shown because either you removed it, either you copied/pasted one element from another diagram. For whatever reason, you would like the relation to "come back" into the diagram.

You currently have no option but redrawing the same relation from the parent to the child element and force Archi to ask whether you would like to reuse the existing relation (or create a new one).

=> It would be very nice (and user friendly) to have a new contextual menu allowing to choose which unshown relation you could redraw on the current diagram.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Bernard

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

The feature is pretty much already there. You find the relation in the Models Tree and simply drag and drop it onto the diagram. How do you find it amongst so many relations? Like this:

1. Select one of the related elements.
2. In the Properties window, on the "Analysis" tab you can see all relationships belonging to an element.
3. Double-click the relationship you want in the table. This will select it in the Models Tree from where you can drag and drop it onto the diagram.

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

prgee

Hi Bernard,

The "Navigator" window shows all incoming and outgoing relations for the selected element and you can actually drag one (or more) of them onto a view. This will draw the relationship(s) and the corresponding source/target elements in one operation.

Cheers,
Peter

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: prgee on November 26, 2014, 16:18:44 PM
Hi Bernard,

The "Navigator" window shows all incoming and outgoing relations for the selected element and you can actually drag one (or more) of them onto a view. This will draw the relationship(s) and the corresponding source/target elements in one operation.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks, Peter, I'd forgotten about this!

(I'm also now adding Drag and Drop support from the "Analysis" table to a View.)

Phil

Phil
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

For Archi 3.1 the "Model Relations" table in the "Analysis" tab of the Property window supports drag and drop from the table to a View, and unused relations are shown in italics. So there will be a choice. Either:

1. Select one of the related elements in a View.
2. In the Properties window, on the "Analysis" tab you can see all relationships belonging to the element.
3. Drag and drop the missing relation(s) onto the diagram. Unused relations (not used in any View) will show in italics.

or, as Peter suggests:

1. Select one of the related elements in a View.
2. Drag and drop missing relations from the Navigator window.

Phil

bmacours

Thanks, Peter, Phil! This is really what I was looking for.

What would be even greater is to highlight (bold?) the relations for which both ends (parent + child) are available in the current diagram. The thing is that for some highly reused elements (mainly services as it should), it could take some time to find the right relation from the navigator or the analysis tab.

Kind regards,

Bernard