Archi 4.5 released

Started by Phil Beauvoir, August 05, 2019, 20:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Beauvoir

Hi everybody,

just to let you know that we released Archi 4.5 today.

Download is here:

https://www.archimatetool.com/download/

And here's a blog post with some more information:

https://www.archimatetool.com/blog/2019/08/05/archi-4-5/

Regards,

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

I just pushed a minor update with Archi 4.5.1.

https://www.archimatetool.com/download/

This contains only 1 bug fix and will only affect users who don't use the default file locations in the Archi.ini file

Phil
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Hervé

Thanks very much (again) for your hard work.

For those that are using my plugins, please note that the database plugin does not initialize with Archi 4.5 due of a complete change of the internal IDs generation methods. A new version will be released in the coming days.

Phil Beauvoir

Thanks Hervé,

sorry for not letting you know about the change in ID generation as I didn't check if you were using this in your plug-ins.

For information - before Archi 4.5, all IDs for objects were generated when the object was added to the model and stored in a table so that no duplicate ID was generated. This is no longer the case for two reasons - (1) It slows down loading of models (2) We now use longer UUIDs and duplicates are not really possible (well, there is tiny chance equivalent to me winning a multi-billion dollar lottery). All new objects created come with a UUID generated in the constructor and all copied objects (object.getCopy()) have a different UUID.

Hervé

It's fine by me  :)

A user already tried my plugin with Archi 4.5 so I was just telling everybody that it doesn't work. In addition, I need to adapt my plugin to the new installation procedure.

So as you see, I keep being busy  ;D

Manj75

Hi Phil,

Is it possible to install v4.5 without uninstalling v4.4 so they co-exist enabling me to evaluate prior to transitioning and then finally uninstalling v4.4?

Aside: did the cut and paste of concepts in the model tree make it in this release - as you mention on my raised feature request that it will be post v4.5 but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Manjit

Phil Beauvoir

You can use the portable zip version of 4.5.1 as well as the older 4.4 version. Cut and Paste will be in the next version,

Phil

Manj75

Posted the following on the v4.5 beta thread and should've been on this one:

Installed Archi v4.5.1 and Collaboration Plugin v0.5.2 successfully and can immediately see performance improvements on our large model.

Thanks for all you hard work Phil

Just to mention I had installed the previous Collaboration Plugin v0.5.1 with the latest Archi and it showed an issue in opening the model after importing from remote whereby it would not open it.  It is not compatible with v4.5.1 and I then discovered that there is a later version of the plug-in v0.5.2 which does work.  May be this should be detailed in the release notes of Archi v4.5.1 and noted in the plugin v0.5.1 that it does not work with v4.5.1.

Phil Beauvoir

Collaboration Plugin 0.5.2 has no big changes over 0.5.1 and, as far as my tests show, works OK with Archi 4.5.1. Perhaps something else different?

Manj75

That is odd as when I installed 0.5.1 in Archi v4.5.1 I managed to import the repo and could see the model in the Collaboration Workspace tab, but there was no model tree for it in the Models tab.  Even right-clicking on model in Collab' Workspace and selecting 'Open Model' did nothing.  I tried reinstalling 0.5.1 but got same results.  I then discovered 0.5.2 and installed that instead and it work just fine.  If you can't reproduce then may be something local to my setup, but I'll ignore as with 0.5.2 it's now workable. thanks.

Phil Beauvoir

I tested Archi 4.5.1 with 0.5.1 and I can reproduce the problem:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.archimatetool.model.IArchimateElement.getReferencingDiagramObjects()Lorg/eclipse/emf/common/util/EList;
at org.archicontribs.modelrepository.grafico.GraficoModelImporter.resolveProxies(GraficoModelImporter.java:198)
at org.archicontribs.modelrepository.grafico.GraficoModelImporter.importAsModel(GraficoModelImporter.java:141)
at org.archicontribs.modelrepository.grafico.GraficoModelLoader.loadModel(GraficoModelLoader.java:64)
at org.archicontribs.modelrepository.actions.CloneModelAction.run(CloneModelAction.java:115)

This doesn't happen when running Archi from a development environment only when using the compiled binary jar of 0.5.1. My theory is that the compiled 0.5.1 jar has a hard reference to the EList type, even though it is indirectly referenced. This was changed in Archi 4.5.x to use the more generic List type. Thus the failure. It's one of those cases where the API is the same, but the binary type is not compatible.

It's too late to change Archi now, so I'll update the requirements of the collaboration plug-in.

Thanks for reporting this, unfortunately it's one of those unforeseen things that wasn't found during the Archi 4.5 beta period.

Manj75

Glad you could reproduce it - happy to assist in driving up the quality of a good product.