What about non archimate people

Started by erikl, December 22, 2014, 15:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikl

Hey,

I'm learning about archimate and one thing that is on top of my mind when reading the e-book of Gerbin Wierda is; what about people who did not learn Archimate?

I'm in an organisation where I'm the only EA. There are lots of stakeholders and currently they are served with diagrams on powerpoint on request. If I were to change this and start using Archi and ArchiMate, I'm afraid that no one else is able to understand these diagrams unless I always explain them what the arrows and boxes mean.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

Phil Beauvoir

Hi, and welcome to the Archi forum.

Your question makes me think that you might get a better response on the ArchiMate LinkedIn forum (assuming you have a LinkedIn account):

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/ArchiMate-50758

Phil

Edit - but I'm sure Jean-Baptiste will say something...  ;)
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on December 22, 2014, 19:14:55 PM
Edit - but I'm sure Jean-Baptiste will say something...  ;)

Now I have to say something...

Quote from: erikl on December 22, 2014, 15:04:01 PM
I'm learning about archimate and one thing that is on top of my mind when reading the e-book of Gerbin Wierda is; what about people who did not learn Archimate?

Buy them the book ;-)

I'm in an organisation where I'm the only EA. There are lots of stakeholders and currently they are served with diagrams on powerpoint on request. If I were to change this and start using Archi and ArchiMate, I'm afraid that no one else is able to understand these diagrams unless I always explain them what the arrows and boxes mean.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

Yes, many people have similar thoughts even Gerben Wierda has.

I am in a very similar case (only architect with people/stakeholder not knowing ArchiMate) and whenever I have to create a view which will be use by other people, I limit myself to a subset of the language which is self explanatory for a lot of people. The choosen subset (mainly nodes/devices, application components and processes) use shapes that are well known outside ArchiMate itself (UML, visio, BPMN...) and thus are meaningfull for my stakeholders. I also tend to use nesting as much as possible in those views and limit visible relations to the bare minimum (realisation, used by, trigger).

Regards

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

erikl

Hey,

I did bring this question over to Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=50758&type=member&item=5952810928377470980&commentID=5955337199489675265&report%2Esuccess=8ULbKyXO6NDvmoK7o030UNOYGZKrvdhBhypZ_w8EpQrrQI-BBjkmxwkEOwBjLE28YyDIxcyEO7_TA_giuRN#commentID_5955337199489675265

got some good feedback.

I also bought the e-book.

@Jean-Baptiste; thnx for this, it makes sense to me. I'm even considering to start my first diagrams with only the simplified subset. This way I focus on the result rather than the notation and over time I'll learn more and more of ArchiMate.