Modelling an Architecture Decision

Started by JacquesTessier, April 18, 2019, 15:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacquesTessier

Hi, I am trying to model architecture decisions. I am struggling with which elements I should be using.
so far I am planning on this
     Architecture decision = outcome
     Assumption = constraint
     Justification = requirement
     subject area = driver
     explaining the issue = assessment
     motivation = goal
    derived requirements = requirement
I need to document the alternatives being considered, the implications of this decision, related decision.. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I would map it a bit differently and would suggest the following:

• Subject Area: Driver
  • (explaining the) Issue: Assessment
  • Architecture Decision: Goal. I'd prefer Goal over Outcome as Outcome are really linked to Strategy (Outcome are high-level, business-oriented results produced by capabilities)
  • Assumption: Constraint
  • Justification (Rationale): Principle. I'd prefer Principle over Requirement because Principle are more "qualitative" and project agnostic (and I assume that most architecture decision are led by, potentially not documented, architecture principles)
  • Derived Requirements: Requirements

I'm not sure what you mean by "Motivation".

See attached image for suggested relationships.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

JacquesTessier

thank you
any suggestion on what I could use for options. I will need to document each option considered.
Jacques

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: JacquesTessier on April 26, 2019, 12:08:54 PM
any suggestion on what I could use for options. I will need to document each option considered.

I'd suggest to keep it simple and simply describe options in the Documentation field of the Architecture Decision.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

jrg1166

Quote from: JacquesTessier on April 18, 2019, 15:50:31 PM
Hi, I am trying to model architecture decisions. I am struggling with which elements I should be using.
so far I am planning on this
     Architecture decision = outcome
     Assumption = constraint
     Justification = requirement
     subject area = driver
     explaining the issue = assessment
     motivation = goal
    derived requirements = requirement
I need to document the alternatives being considered, the implications of this decision, related decision.. Any suggestions on what I should use?
There was an Architecture Decision Canvas published on this site at one stage,  I have attached a copy that I downloaded that could be useful

Jose-Carlos

In my organization, I started to modelize in detail an architecture decision. My problem was that on some models, I could have more than 10 AD which increased the complexity of models.
Finally, I used assessment element with properties describing expected topics. This is more a pragmatic approach than a formal Archimate approach. I have a dedicated model with popular ADs that can be reused on many models in a simple way.
In attachment a copy screen of an AD example.

secarch

I would suggest adding the options:
Option 1: xxx
Pros Option 1: aaa
Cons Option 1: bbb
Option 2: yyy
Pros Option 2: ccc
Cons Option 2: ddd
Architecture Decision: (Option 1 or 2)
Rationale of AD: eee   
----
It is good practice to expose the potential options before making AD.