Realization Relationship

Started by vladap, November 20, 2019, 09:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladap

Hi Guys,

I am straggling little bit with Realization Relationship. In my model I am describing Application Layer and then I refer to technology layer for more technical detail.
By the definition:

Realization Relationship "Links logical entity with a more concrete entity that realizes it." .

I also check some examples and I thought I understand it but, when I tried to model it works for me in Archi and it doesn´t work for me in EA.
What I want to show here is : One App Component send data via Interface to Other Component. And this connection is realized on technology Layer with more details like what Node sends data to Another Node via certain Network.

Am I doing something incorrect in Archimate notation, or is this a bug in EA SW.

thanks for your help,
Vladimír

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This makes sens (well, depending on what you exactly have in mind it might be better to it in a different way) and thus is allowed since ArchiMate 3.0.

So either you are using an old version of EA, or this is just another case of EA not supporting ArchiMate (EA is not a certified tool frol The Open Group and is known not to support ArchiMate 100%).

This forum being focused on Archi, I'd suggest you open a case through Ea's forum.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

vladap

Here is a more detailed diagram - that´s what I have in mind.
I am personally using also Archi, and its much faster and simpler there - that´s why I asked in Archimate part of the forum :)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

HI,

Quote from: vladap on November 20, 2019, 12:55:52 PM
Here is a more detailed diagram - that´s what I have in mind.

So this might not be the right way to do it in ArchiMate: an interface doesn't exist in isolation. An interface is a part of an active structure and is in charge of exposing services. So your "SFTP" interface should be composed into something.

In addition, the Node realizing the application component is a derived relationship whose meaning is different: it means that the application has been deployed on the node (the node hosts and runs the application). Judging from the name of your application (diameter server) I doubt this is really an application component in ArchiMate.

So to better judge, it would be best if you could textually describe your situation and then I could suggest some way of modelling it ;-)

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.