Importing Elements with Folder Structure

Started by bigyin, November 28, 2019, 08:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyin

Problem Statement:
Complex (Enterprise) models generate a lot of elements. Structuring these elements in folders makes finding (and reusing) the correct elements easier. When working in a team and modelling a new feature separately and wish to import it to the combined reference architecture it would be useful to have the ability to define the folder structure on import as well.

Has anyone already an elegant solution to this ?

I know from JB that it could be done by papaparse  JS Library/JArchi's Api etc

Phil Beauvoir

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Alberto

hmmm... I could use this when importing via CSV

Hervé

Hi,

Alternatively, you may use my database plugin (https://github.com/archi-contribs/database-plugin/tree/master/v2) that allows to share a folder between several models : the updates done on the shared folder in one model are done as well to the other models.

The plugin does not (yet) manage access rights (at the moment, all the architects can modify the shared folder from any model) but this point is on my roadmap.

Best regards
Hervé

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on November 28, 2019, 15:05:02 PM
How are you importing? CSV file?

From my understanding the use case is similar to the one described in this issue: https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/280

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

bigyin

Use case is similar/same, and yes using CSV as a stepping stone

The objective is to modularise the architecture with different naming and folders to help e.g for Capabilities / Service etc

Also where there is a work package, which is identifiable (by unique id) it can be useful to use that ID as a folder name to include the elements relevant to the package. While not top down, more bottom up it can be useful for infra views.

the issue is making it easy for the architect o find the correct element. Principle being that once created the solution architect should only use elements form the left been fully characterised.

If it helps in understanding I can post examples

I will look at the DB plugin to see