Generate View from Elements

Started by rheward, February 26, 2020, 15:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rheward

I've finally gotta ask after all these years. I've read, and re-read the user manual on this:

I've noticed that generating a view from selected element(s) seems to put all connections on, regardless of whether I tick the 'Add all available connections' or not. I must be missing a subtlety.

The manual says:
Optionally check "Add all available connections". If this option is checked, all connections between elements are added to the generated View. If unchecked, only connections that are directly related to the selected element(s) are added to the generated View.

What's the difference between 'all connections between elements' and 'directly related elements'?

Also - is there a roadmap / feature request for adding filters to this feature? For example, so it only generates a view with the selected elements. Or elements / relations of certain types.

Phil Beauvoir

I'm afraid I don't know either. I wrote this feature five years ago and this option must have done something then but I can't get it to do anything now either. A regression might have been introduced over the years.

> Also - is there a roadmap / feature request for adding filters to this feature?

No. It's not really a feature that I personally want to work on (there so many other feature requests that I'm working on). The best thing would be if someone else looked at it and submitted a (draft) Pull Request.

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Update: it does do something if you select different elements for the "Generate View" command.

See the example in https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/585

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

In fact does do something even if you select only one element:

Let's say you have a small model with 4 elements (A, B, C and D) and that the following relationship exists: A->B, A->C, B->C, C->D, D->A.

If you select B and run this feature without the option checked, you'll end up with a with containing elements directly related to B and associated relationships, ie. the view will contain A, B, C and relationships A->B et B->C.

But if you set this option, the same elements will be selected, but all relationships between them will be added, so you'll end up with A, B, C and relationship A-B, B->C AND A->C

Regards,

JB

Phil Beauvoir

Thanks, JB.

What kind of idiot writes code and then doesn't understand it?  ;)