Relationships from Resource to business layer elements

Started by geoffrey, March 25, 2020, 13:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffrey

I'm looking for some advice with regards to which relationships are allowed from a Resource to e.g. a Business Actor and Business Process.

In Archi 4.6 I'm able to draw a Realisation from a Resource to a Business Actor, but not to a Business Process. In the latter case only an Association is allowed, whereas in the former case both Realisation and Association are possible.

The relationship table in Archi confirms that this behaviour works as expected, but when I have a look at the ArchiMate 3.1 tables online, only an Association is allowed from a Resource to any element in the business layer.

I know that the relationships in Archi can be edited, but hope for some guidance with regards what is allowed and what's not before doing so.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

In Archi 4.6 I'm able to draw a Realisation from a Resource to a Business Actor

No, you can't do this in Archi as this relationship is not permitted by the spec. The opposite is possible (Actor realizes Resource).

Can you double check?

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

geoffrey

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wrote down how I created the relationship, not its actual direction. It is indeed the Actor that realises the Resource.

What I now understand from the ArchiMate 3.1 documentation (7.6 Relationships with Motivation and Core Elements) is that a Resource can be Realised by an Active or Passive Structure Element, not by a Behaviour Element and hence Archi shows the correct thing.

The intention is to express that there are Resources for people, process, information and tools and that these are "realised" by elements in the other layers such as the Business and Application layers.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.