What is the direction af the serving relation?

Started by AllanV_dk, June 04, 2020, 13:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanV_dk

We use Microsoft Active Directory. for authentication and authorization. To keep data updated we have a small ETL process in PowerScript that retrive data from our IDM-system and upload it to AD. I have illustrated this by the use of two serving relations. The AD rely on the process and again the IDM system.
That is all fine!

I then add the ADWS-interface, that the ETL proces uses to update data, and because an interface is where a service is made available to another application I ad
the service that is made available and have named it "Update AD data".

But then I get a little confused. Because now the "Update AD data" services is serving the ETL Process and the direction of the serving relations changes direction.

What am I missing - or is it just how Archimate is?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: AllanV_dk on June 04, 2020, 13:01:31 PM
To keep data updated we have a small ETL process in PowerScript that retrive data from our IDM-system and upload it to AD. I have illustrated this by the use of two serving relations.

Both could exist but mean different things. "ETL Process" serves "Active Directory" is more a functional dependancy (your AD is not up to date without "ETL Process"), while "Active Directory" serves "ETL Process" is more a technical dependancy (to run, your "ETL Process" rely on some web service).

And as your focus is on information, I won't use serving relationships in your "high level view", but flows: one flow from "IDM" to "ETL Process" and another one from "ETL Process" to "Active Directory".

As a side note, you in fact shown that in your context, "Active Directory" relies on its own "Update AD Data" webservice because if this service fails, AD is still up and running but no more accurate.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.