Multi line object names

Started by objective1, March 04, 2015, 13:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

objective1

other than embedding spaces to force word wrap  is there any way to get multi line object names?  e.g., is there a way to embed carriage returns?    looking to implement naming as our friend Gerben suggests.

e.g.,

[app name]
service name
[Application Service]

i tried searching the forum on 'carriage return', 'line feed', 'embed', ...

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This has been discussed several months ago and raised multiple questions.

See this discussion on GitHub for more details.

For the moment, a potential workaround is to use non-breaking space to "group" some parts of the label.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

objective1

Thanx for the quick reply  i had found that shortly after posting.   I posted on the developer forum a suggestion to address this..   basically allow some additional meta data in the element   managed outside the 'model proper'   but part of the model content.

so  we'll see where that goes...

dumber question..   

can you post an example of using the 'nonbreaking space'?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Here is a short example:

The first label is using "simple" spaces, the second one is using non-breaking spaces inside each "parts" and "simple" spaces between them.

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

stiebs

How do you actually insert the non-breaking-space into the object name?
I tried using HTML convention (ie, " " and " ") as well as ALT-1-6-8 with no success.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Quote from: stiebs on March 30, 2015, 06:54:28 AM
How do you actually insert the non-breaking-space into the object name?
I tried using HTML convention (ie, " " and " ") as well as ALT-1-6-8 with no success.

Hi,

This is OS dependant. Look at the wikipedia page which lists most of ways to add one (in my case, ALT+255 on Windows).

JB

stiebs

This is OS dependant. Look at the wikipedia page which lists most of ways to add one (in my case, ALT+255 on Windows).

Aah. Let me be more specific then..

I am using windows. However, when I try the ALT+255, Archi just takes the ALT-2 keypress and hides the properties window, and then takes the ALT-5 keypress to detach the palette. And yes, I am keeping ALT held down whilst I press the numbers. The only way I have managed to get the nbsp into Archi is by first ALT-255'ing into notepad, then cutting and pasting into Archi.

steen.jensen

Hi, I don't get this to work in Archi 3.3.2
I copy the ALT+255 from notepad in Windows and copy that char to my element name in Archi, but its only displayed as ordinary space with no line break  :'(

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This trick is not intended to add a newline, but forces groups of words IF a newline has to be inserted between words (in case of long label and small figure). You have to keep in mind that what you put inside an element is not a label but the element name which (by design) should be kept smart and short.

Regards,

JB

steen.jensen

Hm, Yes short element names and smart, thats the thing.
As descibed i the good book "Mastering Archimate II" the name can be quite loong.
In my company we try to name each element with parent system + element_name + number if several + element-type if needed
as in system: "Orbit" with element: "x-ray img" and number: 02 + element type: "Dataobject"

Orbit
x-ray img 02
Dataobject

Maybe, to much info as element label, but with 1000 uniq named element,  a naming convention is needed, i think