Crash when opening or closing diagram

Started by DaveVint, September 03, 2020, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVint

Hi,

I'm in the process of  reorganising and splitting up an existing large model into various layers so that I can take advantage of the new reference model capability. I've been experiencing a lot of crashes when I open or close a diagram where Archi just exits immediately. I've noticed that this only seems to happen when I have both the original large model that I'm reorganising, and a test extract model which will eventually be one of my reference models. I can't seem to get an exact reproducible sequence but it's happening very often under those circumstances. Unfortunately the model isn't one I can share, but has anyone else seen this or is there a log file or similar that I can review?

I'm running Archi 4.7.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Cheers,

Dave

Phil Beauvoir

Could be anything. Running out of memory, a Linux lib that conflicts, a theme...

Archi's Configuration and error log can be accessed in Archi by selecting the "About Archi" menu item. In the dialog box press the "Installation Details" button, then select the "Configuration" tab and press the "View Error Log" button.

Are you using the Java JRE that ships with Archi? i.e the "jre" folder in the Archi installation.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

DaveVint

Hi Phil,

Yes, I'm using the shipped JRE. I'll check the log to see if it contains anything useful.

Cheers,

Dave

Phil Beauvoir

If it's a system issue such as running out of memory, or some library conflict there might not be anything written to the log. In the configuration info view, have a look to ensure that the Java used is the one shipped with Archi (11.0.3). Otherwise you may have to do some tests to narrow the issue down such as trying on Ubuntu 20.04 or adding a -Xmx4096M to Archi.ini (after the -vmargs line) to increase memory allocation.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

DaveVint

It's just crashed but the log seems to contain nothing more recent than April. The configuration java.version is 11.0.3, java.runtime.version line says 11.0.3+7

I'll add the memory allocation increase to see if that improves matters.

Thanks!

DaveVint

Well increased the memory allocation and it hasn't crashed thus far, so looking good.

Phil Beauvoir

With no memory setting in the Archi.ini file, the default is for Java to allocate 25% of available memory. So if you have 8GB of RAM this is equivalent to:

-vmargs
-Xmx2048M

So setting more might work for large models.

DaveVint

Thanks - I'll nag my IT dept for a chunkier laptop!