Archi on macOS Big Sur - please read this

Started by Phil Beauvoir, October 09, 2020, 17:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Beauvoir

The next version of macOS, Big Sur, will be released very soon. Yesterday I tested Archi on the latest public beta version of Big Sur. There were quite a few graphical issues and a large number of crashes. In the end I decided that at the moment we can not officially support Big Sur. This may change with the final release of Big Sur, but I suspect that this will not be the case.

The problems are due to many changes in Big Sur and issues arising in the Eclipse framework that we use to create Archi. Unfortunately, these are out my hands.

We are tracking the issue here - https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/669

Until these issues are resolved I cannot recommend using Archi on Big Sur - it will launch and you may be able to perform some actions, but eventually you will run into problems and crashes.

Sorry about this, but it's not something I can do anything about. Other tools that are built on Eclipse are seeing the same issues. The main problems occur when drawing images.

I'll keep testing Archi on Big Sur as new updates to macOS and Eclipse are made and do what I can.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Some better news:

With a workaround to the old Thumbnail bug at least Archi doesn't do a complete crash and can launch.

There are still other rendering issues further down the Eclipse stack, though.

We'll need to do an Archi 4.8 build based on Eclipse 4.17 with this workaround in it, though.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Even better news:

macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 beta was released today and I tested Archi. There is no longer the crash when using the thumbnail view and there seems to be general overall improvements.

Phil Beauvoir

More Mac bugs are fixed in Eclipse 4.18 than Eclipse 4.17. So we'll have to target this version of Eclipse for an Archi update to try and address some of the Mac issues on Big Sur.

Eclipse 4.18 will be released on December 16.

Phil Beauvoir