Bulk Changes on local workspace?

Started by johmut, March 04, 2022, 15:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johmut

Hi,

Using coArchi to publish to a remote GitLab repository. Having 'Visual Code' as an editor, using the git extension. Needing to make a 'bulk change' to a custom property value used across elements and views.

Global search and replace in VC worked fine. Changes staged, committed and pushed to remote repository fine.
Opened the model in Archi, changes not applied? Publish from Archi, changes reverted! What am I missing?

The remote repository is cloned to local workspace. However it seems model changes are saved to temp.archimate?
So push is from temp.archimate to remote repository? And refresh is from remote repository to local workspace?
How can I make bulk changes on the local workspace, push them to the remote repository and have Archi reload from the remote repository instead of from temp.archimate, thus ignoring both changes to local and remote WS?

TIA,
johmut

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: johmut on March 04, 2022, 15:31:48 PMGlobal search and replace in VC worked fine. Changes staged, committed and pushed to remote repository fine.
Opened the model in Archi, changes not applied? Publish from Archi, changes reverted! What am I missing?

Never ever try to change the XML files or do any git operations outside Archi. The end result can be a total lost of your model. That's like trying to do random SQL queries on the internal database of any tool: not supported and error prone.

Your should always use official API or methods:
- If your goal is to rename properties (but not alter their value), do it through the properties manager (under "Tools" menu).
- If your goal is to rename a value for a given property name, whatever the type of the owning concept, export you model to CSV, edit the "properties.csv" file and import your CSV back into your model.
- If your goal is to do anything more complex, use jArchi.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.