Magic connector tool does not work in 3.3.1?

Started by D1G1T, February 22, 2016, 08:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1G1T

Hi,

I'm quite new to Archi. What's bugging me is that if I use "Magic Connector" and link two elements in model and select appropriate relation type that I want. It does not create selected relation. If I select relation type directly in Canvas, exactly same type of relation that I was trying to create using Magic Connector on exactly same model elements, it works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance :)

BR, Lukas

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Can you provide more information about your context: OS, Archi setup type (installer, zip...), JVM...

@Phil: I faced the same issue on my Linux machine but first thought it was due to my own setup (works ok on my Windows box) so decided not to bother you but if I'm not the only one...

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

D1G1T

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

I tried both ZIP and Installer version, in both I have experienced same behavior.

My JVM version:
java version "1.7.0_80"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_80-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.80-b11, mixed mode)

OS: Windows 10 PRO 64 bit, Insider Preview, Build 14267

I have read debug instructions, but they looks quite complicated taking in account my experience with Eclipse. :)

Phil Beauvoir

Are you using a laptop, PC, or touch tablet device? This is a known issue on touch devices.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi Phil,

In my case the issue is on a laptop with touch screen (Asus Vivobook S400CA) under Linux, but it works OK on a "normal" Dell laptop under windows.

JB

Phil Beauvoir

Hi JB,

I changed the magic connector code recently to fix the touch device issue. Are you seeing the problem with the latest development code?

https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/commit/d559c4b80d431fa9f5b7a56c818a0aa5d9607503

Phil

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Phil,

I don't think so. I will check tonight.

JB

D1G1T

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on February 22, 2016, 10:14:16 AM
Are you using a laptop, PC, or touch tablet device? This is a known issue on touch devices.

DELL XPS 15 9530 = touch enabled device

Phil Beauvoir

You could try installing a patch (that hopefully fixes it) manually:

Download this zip file - http://archimatetool.com/downloads/com.archimatetool.editor_3.3.1.201601121157.zip
Find the folder in your Eclipse installation (in the plugins folder) named "com.archimatetool.editor_3.3.1.201510051010" and delete it
Unzip contents of the zip file to this "plugins" folder

D1G1T

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on February 22, 2016, 11:25:24 AM
You could try installing a patch (that hopefully fixes it) manually:

Download this zip file - http://archimatetool.com/downloads/com.archimatetool.editor_3.3.1.201601121157.zip
Find the folder in your Eclipse installation (in the plugins folder) named "com.archimatetool.editor_3.3.1.201510051010" and delete it
Unzip contents of the zip file to this "plugins" folder

Patch applied. Confirming that magic connector tool works properly after patching. Thanks, you saved my day! :)

Maybe if you can at some next release include also "hook" element or overlay icon placed directly on any model object performing exactly same action as magic connector button that would be brilliant! So one does not have to jump between canvas and palate back and forth in order to be able to use magic connector tool. I wasn't able to find any keyboard shortcut for magic connector tool as well as workaround, to be able to quickly trigger it.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

At the bare minimum you can "lock" the magic connector by pressing the SHIFT key while selecting its icon. This will allow you to use it several time without having to re-select it on the tool palette.

Regards,

JB