Export - HTML Report - Elements folder

Started by Johan2, March 10, 2017, 11:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan2

Are the elements in the Elements folder of the Archi HTML report:
a. instances of elements
b. classes of elements

I think a. instances of elements

If so, is there a way to determine the number of class (unique) elements there are in an Archi model?

Phil Beauvoir

Yes, instances. Class types are shown in the second column. Counting classes depends on customising the report.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Johan2

Second column of what?
And what do you mean with "counting classes depends on customising the report"? Which report?

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Johan2 on March 14, 2017, 08:26:55 AM
Second column of what?
And what do you mean with "counting classes depends on customising the report"? Which report?

I'm referring to the HTML report in your original question. It seems our wires are crossed. Please clarify your question - what Elements folder?
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Johan2

Sorry, let me rephrase.

In Archi Models Menu, you can add elements (like Business Actor, - Process, etc.)
You can drop these elements on one or more views.

I want to know how many unique elements I have in the model.
I want to know how many element instances are use on all the views.

Phil Beauvoir

If you look on the Properties window and the "Analysis" tab that will show you where the element is used in Views.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Johan2 on March 17, 2017, 12:12:12 PM
In Archi Models Menu, you can add elements (like Business Actor, - Process, etc.)
You can drop these elements on one or more views.

I want to know how many unique elements I have in the model.
I want to know how many element instances are use on all the views.

It seems there are some misunderstanding...

There are no classes nor instances in ArchiMate. A model only contains concepts (elements or relationships) which are somewhat "typed" (BusinessActor, ApplicationComponent...). An element can be used in views, this is not an instance of this elements, just this very same element used in different places.

So...

"I want to know how many unique elements I have in the model." : I understand this as "I want to know how many elements I have" (unique doesn't mean anything in this contexte). Maybe you want to know this on a "per type" basis (how many BusinessActor, how many ApplicationComponent...).

"I want to know how many element instances are use on all the views." : I understand this as "For each element I want to know how many views use it" (and maybe also the list of views using it).

Am I right ?

Regards,

JB

Johan2

Yes, you are right.
The better the statistics on the Archi model, the easier it is to sell to the organisation.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

In this case, there is no "out of the box" solution and you'll have to build your own.

For simple case (the first one) you can basically export the model to CSV and play with Excel (or any other spreadsheet). But for the more complexe one (links with views) you'll have to either create your own jasper report, or work using the model exported to the Open Exchange Format (and then use things like XSLT or XPath).

Regards,

JB