Opening Archi files from another person it is deemed incompatible

Started by Olubunmi, February 21, 2018, 11:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olubunmi

I have installed Archi 4.1.1 however, whenever I try to open files sent to me by a colleague, the Archi tool deems them incompatible and cannot open them.

Is this a configuration issue? My colleague used Archi 4.0.2 to create the first file and has been able to open this file and other files in versions 4.02, 4.11 and 4.2. However, when I try to open the same files on my  Archi 4.1.1 I  get the error  "this model is compatible".

Has anyone seen this error before please and may I know how I can fix this?

Phil Beauvoir

Please take a look at the error log by selecting the "About Archi" menu item. In the dialog box press the "Installation Details" button, then select the "Configuration" tab and press the "View Error Log" button.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Olubunmi

Thank you for your suggestion.  I have had a look at the log and do not understand it. The little I can clean is that the model is not casting.

Phil would you be able to help in deciphering what the log is advising please?  I have copy and pasted it below:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2018-02-21 12:28:34.166
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xml.type.impl.XMLTypeDocumentRootImpl cannot be cast to com.archimatetool.model.IArchimateModel
   at com.archimatetool.editor.model.impl.EditorModelManager.loadModel(EditorModelManager.java:271)
   at com.archimatetool.editor.model.impl.EditorModelManager.openModel(EditorModelManager.java:194)
   at com.archimatetool.editor.OpenDocumentHandler.openFiles(OpenDocumentHandler.java:96)
   at com.archimatetool.editor.OpenDocumentHandler.openQueuedFiles(OpenDocumentHandler.java:89)
   at com.archimatetool.editor.ArchiWorkbenchAdvisor.eventLoopIdle(ArchiWorkbenchAdvisor.java:69)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$1.eventLoopIdle(Workbench.java:513)
   at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1155)
   at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
   at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1039)
   at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:153)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:680)
   at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:594)
   at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
   at com.archimatetool.editor.Application.start(Application.java:81)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)

Phil Beauvoir

Are you trying to open a file in the Open Exchange Format? Are you sure this is an Archi file? Does it have a *.archimate file extension?
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Olubunmi

Yes the files have an archimate extension and the application acknowledges this because, the file is depicted by the archi symbol.

I tried to open two archimate files respectively:

- The first file gives the error I mentioned earlier and it also advises that "the lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog."

- The second file also gives the error I mentioned earlier and it also advises that " Package with uri 'http://www.opengroup.org/xsd/3.0/ not found."

Phil Beauvoir

Can you share an example file that does not open? I would need to examine an example file.

Phil Beauvoir

It sounds like your colleague has exported the file in the Open Exchange Format with an *.archimate extension. All they need to do is save the file and share that one.

Olubunmi

Thank you Phil that was the problem i.e. my colleague exported the file in the Open Exchange Format with an archimate extension. I asked for the file to be saved as an archimate file and resent to me and voila I can now open the file without errors.

I appreciate your help with this, thank you again Phil   :)

Phil Beauvoir