Need help with Modelling in my thesis about SoA

Started by dired, August 22, 2018, 17:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dired

Dear ladies and gentlemen,
the content of my bachelor thesis is to analyse an existing (mostly monolithic, definately not serviceoriented) software in one chapter.
In the subsequent chapter I identify the parts which are suitable for service decomposition.
I will need present the behaviour of both systems (the monolithic and the serviceoriented one) in a modelling language (according to its standard).
I am concerned especially about modelling the not-serviceoriented existing software.

Just two examples what will really be necessary:
I would like to present which actors (persons or department) are using the existing software for which features in sort of a use-case diagram.
Also a component diagram, again especially for the modelling of the existing software (monolith). For the decomposited serviceoriented model, I believe I can use ArchiMate's "Business Layer".

Therefore I wanted to ask here if Archi is the right tool to fulfil these tasks?
Also: Would you recommend me to use ArchiMate (as in http://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/toc.html) for the modelling of the existing software (non-serviceoriented monolith), or rather UML2?
I believe that ArchiMate is not well suited for modelling something other than serviceoriented systems. The other possibility would be to model the existing software not with a component diagram but with something equivalent or better from ArchiMate. I am not sure so that is why I ask this.

Thanks in advance, I hope it's ok to ask you this

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

You can use ArchiMate (and thus Archi) for both cases (service oriented and not). The fact that ArchiMate has been design to be service oriented doesn't mean you have to model in such way.

Quote from: dired on August 22, 2018, 17:40:29 PM
I would like to present which actors (persons or department) are using the existing software for which features in sort of a use-case diagram.

Basically you'll end up with something like Application Component (your application) that Realises some Application Services (the features) that Serves Business Actors (persons or department)

Also a component diagram, again especially for the modelling of the existing software (monolith).

Not sure about what you mean, but this might be a simple decomposition of your Application to show its sub modules. In such case everything (application and sub modules) are Application Components (your application is Composed of your sub modules.

For the decomposited serviceoriented model, I believe I can use ArchiMate's "Business Layer".

Not sure to understand, but the Business Layer is not for the application itself, only the "human usage" of your application (actors or roles and assigned business process).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

dired

Thanks!
I have in the meanwhile understood a bit more, namely that ArchiMate can be generally used to model architecture but as an alternative to uml.
This slide of https://youtu.be/HCYfwbDRCqw?t=208 has been enlightening for me:

I'll need to read the whole ArchiMate doc i guess, then I will be able to model the architecture as-is and as-will-be according to the doc.
So thanks a lot for putting me on the right track with your fast answer!

P.S.: Of course I need to justify now that my choice of analysation method of the architecture is archimate. Would anybody reading this recommend me to step down and just use uml (or something)?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Instead of reading ArchiMate specificatioins, I highly recommend to read the free excerpt of the book Mastering ArchiMate by Gerben Wierda. Of course if you continue using ArchiMate, than I suggest you buy the whole book, that's the best book about ArchiMate.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.