Is there an easy way to generate & manage a change log, recording everything

Started by bigyin, May 05, 2020, 09:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyin

As an architect which must share models I would like to have a change log and versioning etc. Ideally which takes a user context (user id etc) into account from the run environment.

I know it is possible to add the change log in git, but that would seem a very technical a solution to the overall intent. i.e. would like to go to help and ask for change history etc.

Any ideas or would this be a feature request.. of just a bad idea ..

Phil Beauvoir

There is no change tracking/versioning/logging in Archi itself, nor has such a feature been planned (would be a huge undertaking)
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

bigyin

In short term if I try to have 'mange by script' as an objective (not all but a lot of the changes can be defined by scripts etc) then I can write (from script) to a common log file etc.

Does Archi have any 'context information' that can be take from the environment e.g. User ID ..  I can (I assume as a weak programmer) use a Java library to get, but if in Archi already would like to be 'self contained'

Phil Beauvoir

> Does Archi have any 'context information' that can be take from the environment

This information can only be accessed via the Java system properties, and so JS would require a Java class System declaration.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: bigyin on May 05, 2020, 09:26:58 AM
I know it is possible to add the change log in git, but that would seem a very technical a solution to the overall intent. i.e. would like to go to help and ask for change history etc.

The collaboration plugin fully hides the technical side of git: you never have to connect to a git server (except of course the very first time to create the repository and manage access rights) and everything is done from within Archi. You then get traceability of who done what and when.

Quote from: bigyin on May 05, 2020, 11:50:42 AM
Does Archi have any 'context information' that can be take from the environment e.g. User ID ..  I can (I assume as a weak programmer) use a Java library to get, but if in Archi already would like to be 'self contained'

No in jArchi API, but this can be done through java.lang.System:

var System = Java.type('java.lang.System');
console.log(System.getProperty("user.name"));

See https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/System.html#getProperties() for more options.

Regards,

JB

Hervé

Hi,

You may have a look to my database plugin (https://github.com/archi-contribs/database-plugin/tree/master/v2).

It allows to store all your model components in a SQL database and maintains a history of all their versions.

Best regards