Archi crashes when using note element (picking/moving) on new MacBookPro

Started by hjtriem, November 27, 2016, 13:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjtriem

Maybe somebody can help to find the cause for this strange problem, which limits me using Archi to great extend.

Recently I started to use Archi on the 2016 MBP 13" Touchbar. But it repeatedly crashes after one very specific action, namely moving an existing note element or selecting a new one from the palette and moving or pasting it in the view.
Editing text of existing note elements does not result in a crash, just like resizing or copying. But double clicking (after one or multiple times) does cause a crash.
Other Archi elements I've tested seem to work fine.

When I restart Archi after the crash the menu bar does not respond (no menu item dropdown). After closing and a second restart of Archi all seems to function again.

There is no error log file available/written to org.eclipse.ui.workbench (or any other place I searched)
OSX 10.12.1 crashlog mentions Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)

Both the old and new MBP have the same OS and Archi version. I tried to reinstall Archi 3.3.2 several times (and even version 4), but to no avail.
I also installed JDK 1.8, but with no resolution.

Any suggestions for further investigation or resolution welcome!

Phil Beauvoir

Is this happening on all models? Does it occur on a new, model with few elements?

Need to pinpoint the problem here. Try to eliminate some factors. Is it happening in all cases with new MBP?

If it turns out to be the mac Touchbar, then it's probably out of my control and may be an OS or Eclipse bug.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

hjtriem

Yes, it happens on existing and newly (empty and from template) created models.

Yes, it happens in all cases where I create a new note by select-move or select-paste from the palette.

Is the note element (properties/behaviour) in some ways different from other types of elements (e.g. like business actor or process)?
And if so, are there other types of element that I could try to create/move/paste from the palette that share the same properties?

Phil Beauvoir

The Note figure is drawn differently in some ways. Does it do the same on Archi 4 beta?
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

hjtriem

Yes, it is the same with the Archi 4 beta.

One thing I noticed with repeated testing is that it crashes during drawing the note for the first time. The note symbol is displayed in the view for a very brief moment (0,25 sec) before the actual crash happens and the complete application disappears.

Phil Beauvoir

What about other note-like elements - Stickies and Blocks in the Canvas and Sketch views?

hjtriem

Indeed, creating Stickies and Blocks result in a crash as well (tested with Archi 4)

Phil Beauvoir

Wondering if it's caused by the text edit box opening when creating a new one, or by the drawing of the figure.

Any crash log should be here from menu:

Archi -> About Archi -> Installation Details -> Configuration - View Error Log

hjtriem

There are no crash logs. The button in the menu/form is greyed out and even in the org.eclipse.ui.workbench directory (where it should be) nothing can be found.

Seems that the crash does not even allow writing the logs.

Phil Beauvoir

It will be a system crash.

And you say it crashes just by moving a Note? I'm trying to find out if it's caused by drawing the figure, or when the initial edit event occurs.

hjtriem

No, its not the moving. It is after when I point the position of the new note or release the left mouse when dragging the new note.

I've tested with existing notes and indeed if the text box overlay of the note opens after clicking in it, it crashes.

Text editing in the properties window/form is no problem.

So it seems that opening the text overlay of the view object is causing the problem.

Phil Beauvoir

So when in the in-place edit box opens and when after dragging it to the new position? Two different things, right?

hjtriem

Yes, two different scenario's that both incorporate opening the in-place edit box of the note element.

And dragging an existing note element is not a problem because that does not open the in-place edit box.

Phil Beauvoir

hjtriem

Yes. And I've tested a workaround for creating new notes in the view from the palette  :)

Deselect "Edit name after creating new object from Palette"

in: Preferences > Diagram > General > View